Friday, January 12, 2007

You want me, coach?

It was a first for me here in San Antonio as the Lady Demons prepare for their game against UTSA Saturday afternoon.

Prior to Friday evening’s practice, I was informed by assistant coach David Aguilar that my services may be needed during the offensive set drill.

Wanting to be a team player, I politely agreed, thinking I was just going to have to shag balls or something to that effect.

Nope… not this time.

I was put into full-speed action to play defense against Ashli Barnum then Brittaney Isom.

Now basketball is not my cup of tea. I’m the one who will pull a 3-pointer from 40 feet or try, on occasion, uncontested layups. Now ask me to do any ball handling or straight up defensive pressure, you may as well sub in Louis Scolnick from Revenge of the Nerds.

However, I think I held my own. I didn’t allow any buckets, and actually pulled down a couple of rebounds. Barnum did school me a couple of times, but luckily for me, the shots didn’t fall.

The evening practice wrapped up an eventful day that had us leaving Corpus Christi at 10 a.m. for the 2-hour journey to San Antonio.

Once we arrived, we had lunch at Fuddruckers – perhaps the place that serves the best burgers ever. Then the team spread out on their own to visit the shops along the Riverwalk and also visiting the famed Alamo.

It’s been quite a trip. A first-ever trip to Corpus Christi and first-ever action in the college game.

-- Matthew Bonnette, assistant SID