Thursday, May 10, 2007

Overcoming adversity leads Tory Collins to contract with the Chicago Bears


Two years ago, former Northwestern State star Tory Collins was experiencing perhaps the most heartbreaking time of his life when Hurricane Katrina destroyed his New Orleans home and uprooted his family.

Working through adversity, the three-time All-Southland Conference defensive tackle held his head up high and continued, successfully, through the hardships of that event as he took the playing field day in and day out.

All of the hard work paid off as Collins was signed to a free agent contract with the Chicago Bears after impressing the team during last weekend’s rookie minicamp.

“That’s what motivates me to go out and work hard on the field and just continue with my goal to play in the NFL, and to be able to take care of my family,” Collins said. “My house was under water and my mom lost everything. I had 17 family members living with me in a two-bedroom apartment, but we made the best of it.”

Collins went undrafted two weeks ago in the draft, but after signing the contract with the Bears earlier in the week, he couldn’t hide his emotions as he made the journey back to Louisiana.

“I was getting ready to get on the plane and I just broke down and started crying,” Collins said. “God has blessed me, giving me this opportunity.”

Collins will get his second chance at impressing the organization next week when he reports for the Bears’ full squad minicamp and stepping on the field with NFL stars such as Brian Urlacher, Olin Kreutz and Ruben Brown.

No comments: