Monday, August 13, 2007

Preseason frenzy

Football is the focal point but this week it's far from the only activity within a Tiger Woods 7-iron of the sports information office in Prather Coliseum.

When I came in early this morning, there was the Lady Demon volleyball team on the court. Now as I sit in the office at 8:15 tonight, they are back out there practicing.

As I came back in the office a few minutes ago, the vehicles were lined up outside the Demon soccer team's locker room in the back of the building. Whether they were meeting, practicing over at the soccer complex or off doing something, I couldn't say. I did see the team walking across the parking lot toward the Jack Fisher Tennis Complex earlier today. For what, I'll have to ask.

The soccer team started its preseason camp at midnight Sunday. Seriously.

When I rolled back across the lot from watching the end of this afternoon's football practice, much of the the Spirit of Northwestern Marching Band was in the parking lot between Prather and the Jack Fisher Tennis Complex, working on its show for Sept. 1's season opener.

When I looped up to the WRAC for a quick workout an hour ago, the drum corps was drilling away outside the Fine Arts Building.

Believe me, I am on the lookout for the cheerleaders, dance line and pon-pom crew. I fully expect to see Vic the Demon practicing somewhere at some point this week.

And as I leave here for supper, I leave dedicated graduate assistant Adam Jonson, nearing the finish on the 2007 soccer media guide. He's just designed a snazzy looking cover.

Like Bear Bryant said a long time ago, the secret to success is to surround yourself with good people.

Doug Ireland, SID

No comments: