Monday, November 05, 2007

All in the "family"

A blown-out tire Friday turned out to be a lucky break.

It happened to me about 15 miles east of Ruston on I-20. Yes, Ruston, the town that many Demons love to hate. I grew up 20 miles south of there in Jonesboro, but don't know a lot of folks nowadays in Ruston.

But it turns out one of them works in the family-owned Walpole Kelly Tires Store there. Todd DeMoss, a Demon defensive lineman from 1997-99, grew up around the tire business. His dad, Ray, owns a tire store in nearby Arcadia. Todd's wife is a Walpole, and they have been together for a long time before he arrived at NSU.

My friend Buddy Davis of the Ruston Daily Leader got me in touch with the Walpoles, who provided road service and made me feel at home in their store.

It was an added bonus to have the chance to visit with Todd, who has one child and is expecting another.

I had an angel on my shoulder - imagine if the blowout had happened east of Monroe between there and Vicksburg, or even north of Jackson on I-55. Perhaps there would have been friendly folks, but it's unlikely any former Demons would have been part of the family owning the business ... or that the family would have been such wonderful folks and consummate professionals.

Doug Ireland, SID

No comments: