Friday, November 02, 2007

Practicing by the moonlight...

I arrived in Olive Branch (where the Demon football team is staying) this afternoon. I relaxed and got a little work done in the room, and then as dusk settled, I decided to walk around in the cool evening. The Whispering Woods Hotel is flanked by what was a terrific, championship-level golf course. The course is no longer functioning, instead it remains a skeleton where one can imagine where holes used to be and how you would attack the course.

So as I walked outside in the fading light and as the fog started creeping up, I saw silhouettes of people, large people standing in what once was a fairway.

I walked closer to investigate and came upon the Demon football team going through its walk-through in the twilight. They were standing in what I supposed to be a long par-5 and perhaps the 17th or 18th hole. As it got darker and darker, the coaches and players finished up the walk-through and I figured what iron I would need to get it from the offensive players to the now-barren green.

I guessed 8-iron...

No comments: