Sunday, December 30, 2007

Half a world away, a friend in crisis

NOTE - Joe Peterson was a graduate assistant coach on Mike McConathy's NSU basketball staff in 1999-2001. For the last five years, he has been a missionary, teaching at a Christian school in rural Kenya. He's kept friends and supporters updated with a monthly newsletter. See the Demon Dust archives for information on his ministry. Early this morning, he sent friends the following dispatch:

Written by Joe Peterson
1:50 AM Pacific Time, early Sunday morning, December 30, 2007

It is going to be difficult for me to describe what has transpired the past few days, but I can tell you that the hand of God has been with me and I have seen him provide for and deliver me several times. He is a good God and He is a powerful God.


Before I start, let me tell you that I am in Mbita now at ICIPE. The gates are all locked and they are not allowing visitors in. This might be one of the safest places in the country right now. Mbita has stayed calm anyway, but you never know what can happen.



The plan I had devised for traveling and returning to Mbita in time was a very good plan. It would have worked to perfection, until Kenya Airways screwed it up. When we left Mumbai, India I was planning on not checking any bags in at the airport so I wouldn't be slowed down. The friend I was traveling with accidentally opened her mouth and asked the ticket agent if I could carry-on my bigger bag. A short debate began and I lost it. I was forced to check my one bag even though it could have easily fit in the overhead containers. It was going to be ok though because we arrived early into Nairobi at 6:10 am on Thursday (the day after elections). My flight to Kisumu was scheduled for 7:45 so I had an hour and a half. I was the first one off the plane and got through immigration very quickly. Now all I needed was my bag. So I waited… and waited… and waited. I tried to check in for my other flight, but they insisted that I wait for my bag before checking in. They also told me they could rush me in when I come. I was inquiring from Kenya Airways and was even going in the back of the baggage claim to look for it, but none of our flights bags were coming. I almost left it there (and should of), but they kept insisting it would be there soon. Finally it arrived at 7:35 am and I ran to the other terminal, but I was too late for my flight to Kisumu.



I complained to Kenya Airways and they almost got me on one of their flights that morning, but I barely missed that one too. After three hours of discussion and waiting, they were very kind to me and put me up in the Panari Hotel (very nice one) in Nairobi for the day and gave me meals there. I had a choice to fly out that night or wait until the next morning. Because I didn't want to travel at night and would have to find a hotel and meals in Kisumu, I decided to wait to fly until the next morning and enjoy a day of rest (that was my big mistake).



After a day of relaxation, our flight left early the 2nd day after election (Friday). Halfway to Kisumu the plane had to turn around and return to Nairobi because of mechanical failure. We waited for about an hour before taking off again. By the time we arrived in Kisumu it was 10:30 am and riots had already broken out across Kenya, and specifically in Kisumu.



Raila, the Luo candidate who is in the opposition, had opened up a big lead after the first day. On the morning of the 2nd day, suddenly President Kibaki dramatically surged forward into an almost dead heat with Raila. They are within 40,000 votes of one another with close to 10 millions ballots counted. Allegations of rigging the elections began flying and the whole country began riots in all major towns, especially Kisumu and Eldoret. There has definitely been some funny business with some polling stations reporting 115% voter turnout (which is impossible). Other ones have had one result from the polling station and then the numbers get inflated when they are reported by the Electoral Commission. Above all, some of these stations have really delayed, which makes you really curious why it takes over 3 days to count 50,000 votes for a single polling station. Some of the constituencies announced their parliamentary winners the day after the election, but still haven't released their presidential numbers three days later. Most likely, the situation here could get even worse depending on the results. If Raila loses, it might throw the whole country into long-term chaos. It is really only one tribe and one province behind the incumbent President Kibaki. Raila has won every other province, but one. Most of President Kibaki's main cabinet men have lost the parliamentary race in their own constituency which shows the country is not happy with the current government. 97 members of parliament have been elected from Raila's party and only 31 from Kibaki's party. The only way he can win is if he rigs the election, which he is doing in broad daylight for the whole world to see.



Getting back to my story… I planned on waiting out the chaos at the airport which is very safe. After about 4 hours, a motorcycle taxi offered to take me to Salem orphanage on the edge of town where my vehicle was parked and I have some friends (and a bed). About half-way there, I made him turn around. I couldn't believe what I saw. Thousands of people walking out of town carrying TV's, mattresses, exercise books, and anything else you could ever imagine that they had looted from the stores. Almost ever single person was carrying a big panga (machete-like weapon) and threatening others. There were big road blocks and people trying to slash our tires as we were driving. There were fires all over the city. I just saw on the news that whole city blocks were burned down and many vehicles set on fire. The town looks like it was hit by a hurricane or a tsunami.



We safely returned to the airport and I waited another 5-6 hours. In the process I was talking to many friends on the phone and following the news very closely on TV to try and make some decisions. I was asking God for direction. Since final results were postponed until Sunday, no one really knew what the future might hold. I could stay at the airport but they had run out of food because of so many people being stuck there and it was not possible to get more. Additionally, Kisumu was only going to get worse. Staying there didn't seem like the best option.



Just after dark, I put on my Orange ODM (Raila) t-shirt I had purchased at the airport and hopped back on the motorcycle taxi and was taken to Salem Orphanage. The ride was much quieter and safer this time and I was able to hide my white face behind the driver in the dark. We arrived and I was able to get inside and get a good dinner and a bed to sleep in. It wasn't a very safe place to stay though because of the Obunga slum just next door. At about 9:00 pm, the slum dwellers started yelling and screaming and running into the road. We sat on the balcony and quietly watched them, praying they wouldn't come in our direction. Their protest didn't last very long, but the random gun shots rang out through the night.



Now that I had my vehicle, I knew I needed to get out of town before it escalated even more. There were also two Americans and one British person at the orphanage that were ready to flee the country. We decided (with the input of several others) to leave at 5:00 am to bring those three to the airport (so they could fly out of Kenya) and then for me to get the heck out of town while it is still dark and quiet. When I dropped them off I found several others that had spent the night at the airport and needed to go in the direction I was going. A couple jumped in with me and we went as a caravan to get out of Kisumu about 15 km before I turned off toward the ferry. I was fortunate to have a police squad with machine guns leading me out of town. There were many man-made road blocks such as electric poles lying in the road, piles of ashes from the night before, barbed wire laying across and lots of broken glass. God protected my tires from the barbed wire and broken glass and his angels were around the whole vehicle. After turning off the main road, things were much better until we reached Acala market (where the speed bumps are). There was a huge fire spreading across the whole road and a mob of people saw my vehicle and began chasing us. I quickly turned around and left them in the dust. We quickly reorganized and found some dirt roads going through the villages and around the road block. It was quite a detour on bad roads, but we did not meet any other opposition. I made it 15 minutes early for the first ferry at 8:00 am and was back at home by 9:00 am this morning.



I have been following the news closely since getting home. The Electoral Commissioner is supposed to report the final presidential results any minute. We should know very soon. The whole country has been gathered around TV's and radios for 3 days hanging on every piece of news they get. The government has sent out riot squads in full gear to all major towns to keep everyone off the road. Things seem to be better today in most places except Mombasa and Migori. Traveling is almost impossible because of the road blocks and military clampdown.



Again, let me clarify… I am in ICIPE and very safe. I am probably safer than you are in your house/office in the U.S. I don't plan on traveling or going anywhere until this storm passes over. Hopefully it won't be too long because I don't have much food in the house and need to go shopping. I am hoping that within the next week or two, things will calm down.



Don't worry about me. I am ok now. I have really tried to make wise decisions and not put myself at any unnecessary risk. Please pray for the country. Pray for truth to prevail. Pray for God's will to be done in this country. And pray for peace.





UPDATE AS OF 7:50 AM PST Sunday December 30, 2007




The Kenyan Presidential election is over.

Just about an hour ago, incumbent President Kibaki was declared the winnner. Riots have instantaneously broke out in Kibera, Ongata Rangai, Langata, Eastlands and Kisumu. 10 people have already been killed in Kisii. Kibaki is being sworn in as I write this e-mail.

He won 4.5 million to 4.3 million votes. It was totally rigged and everyone in the world knows it. So sad that these kinds of things still happen in this day and age.

What will happen next, no one knows. The people of Kenya are not going to stand for it, but they are protesting in the wrong way and many will die. Rioting and chaos will do nothing to change the situation. I hope Raila is a wise enough man. There are other tribes that are even more angry than the Luos.

It is official now, despite many objections and irregularities and glaring proofs of corruption. The only thing the opposition can do now is:

1) appeal to the high court which is controlled by Kibaki and would most likely delay a decision five years until his term is over.

2) wait until Parliament is convened and hope they have a quorum to vote "No Confidence" in the President. Then there could be another election.

Where I stay is probably one of the safest places in Kenya right now. I feel very safe, but I have heard many gunshots fired outside my compound. I wish I could invite everyone I know to come inside my house. Please pray for our staff and families tonight!

JOe

No comments: