Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The right frame of mind

Just past noon Wednesday, arriving at the Marriott Courtyard (NSU's headquarter hotel) for the SLC Tournament, and the maid's cart is blocking the door to my room. Before I could move it to get into the room, in darts Lady Demon senior star Tena Matthews, snagging a couple of towels for her room as deftly as she picks the pocket of opposing ballhandlers.

"I need more towels," she says to me, smiling. "We're staying a while."

Nobody will set the tone more than she will.

The Demon basketball team is about 90 minutes behind me. They practiced for about 75 minutes and rolled off campus about 9 a.m., stopping for lunch in Lufkin. If I know Coach Mike, the team ate at the same Quizno's sandwich shop we enjoyed on the way to Huntsville earlier this season when the Demons beat Sam Houston State.

The Merrell Center is about a 10 minute ride from the hotel, off the Pin Oaks exit on what is called locally the Katy Freeway, but shows up on the map as Interstate 10.

A reception is tonight from 6-8 at the Crown Plaza hotel along I-10 for NSU friends and alumni. Come if you're in the neighborhood.

Doug Ireland, SID

No comments: