Sunday, May 04, 2008

BuffaloBills.com update on Demetrius Bell

Each of the last three days, during the Buffalo Bills' rookie mini-camp ending today, I've visited one of the better NFL websites around, www.BuffaloBills.com, to get the latest on 2007 Demon All-America offensive tackle and NFL Draft seventh-round pick Demetrius Bell. Check out this from Saturday's practice report by BuffaloBills.com lead journalist Chris Brown:

"....The offensive linemen were again getting some extra attention from Dick Jauron. The Bills head coach spent a good amount of time observing them during pass protection technique work. Seventh-round pick Demetrius Bell is very raw, but is making progress.

“ 'I’ve learned a ton the past two days,” said Bell. “I’m learning a lot in the classroom and on the field. Coach said I’m making improvement and I think I’m making improvements, but I still feel I have a long way to go.'

"Bell is still going through some of his techniques a bit robotically, so coach Sean Kugler is encouraging him to let his natural ability take over. But when you’re thinking about footwork and hand placement so much it’s hard to do that right away. Bell’s potential is encouraging in light of his obvious athleticism...."

When I read this, deja vu set in. On the Wednesday before the draft, we had an interview opportunity with D-Bell for the area TV stations. I remember him saying that the difference in his 2006 and 2007 seasons was that in 2006, his crash course in offensive line play, he was thinking all the time about technique and assignments and never felt comfortable. Last fall, his senior season, he said he was confident about what he was doing and was having fun. Obviously, he played well.

Now that he's totally immersed in football, the learning curve should be shortened.

BTW, one reason he can completely focus on football is that he will be going through commencement exercises Friday.

Doug Ireland, SID

No comments: