Tuesday, July 22, 2008

R. C. Slocum praises Coach Emmons

Retired Texas A&M football coach R.C. Slocum was the keynote speaker at today's Southland Conference Media Days Kickoff Luncheon, and the theme of his speech was how coaches and administrators positively influence the lives of those around them.

One prime example he cited after the speech was Northwestern athletic icon Johnnie Emmons, who gave Slocum his start in coaching in 1968 at Lake Charles High School. Also on the staff: future Washington Redskins assistant coach George Haeffner and longtime southwest Louisiana prep coach Nolan Viator, whose son Matt is now the McNeese head coach.

"Coach Emmons had the right approach. We worked hard, but we made sure it was a fun experience for the boys. There wasn't a lot of hollering and screaming, but there was a lot of teaching and leading," said Slocum. "He was a wonderful man to work for, and I think of him often. I sure did today when I was getting this speech ready."

Slocum also talked about his days as a tight end for McNeese and the rivalries with Northwestern and Southeastern. He played against the 1966 Demons, who won the Gulf States Conference with an unbeaten 9-0 record.

"I'm telling you, in the 33 years I coached, it was never more fun than it was in those days playing at McNeese and going up to play against Northwestern in Natchitoches or over at Strawberry Stadium against Southeastern in Hammond. I remember those games like they were yesterday. I know that's hard to believe, but it's true. They are great rivalries. No matter where I went in coaching (Southern Cal and Kansas State were among his stops as an assistant before his 14 seasons at A&M), I always took a few moments on Sunday to scan the paper, to see how McNeese and the other GSC schools did. I still do."

Doug Ireland, SID

No comments: