Saturday, March 07, 2009

Classy senior

In my 20 years as SID, never before has a player given me a thank you card on his Senior Day.

Deividas Petravicius did today. The Demons' favorite foreigner gifted me and athletic director Greg Burke, at least, with thank you notes before tipoff of today's game in Prather Coliseum.

Burke and I compared notes, literally, after the game and the Graduate N Club ceremonies, which were typically moving (more tomorrow on that).

We were both touched by the kindness of the lanky Lithuanian.

I was also impressed with the classy crowd reaction when coach Mike McConathy pulled his three seniors in the final minute with the outcome settled. As Petravicius, Keithan Hancock and Kalem Porterie left the court, they did so to a standing ovation from the 1,403 fans.

That's one reason why Demon basketball will be back soon. I can't wait 'til next year.

But I just wish Deividas, the one senior who never did get to experience the fullest impact of March Madness although he was part of the SLC Finalist team last year, could be back to make another run at the NCAA Tournament. I just have a sneaky feeling about 2010...

Doug Ireland, Sports Information Director

No comments: