Saturday, January 16, 2010

Almost Another Unbelievable Comeback

I admit it.
When the Lady Demons fell behind Texas A&M Corpus Christi by 21 points with under nine minutes left in Saturday afternoon's game at Prather Coliseum, I resigned myself to the fact that Northwestern was headed toward their first Southland Conference loss of the season. I feel certain you could hear it in my voice as I called the action on 100.7 KZBL-FM in Natchitoches, and on nsudemons.com.
I should have known better.
Yes, the Lady Demons went down to defeat, 75-66. However, three days after coming from 16 points down in the second half to win at Southeastern Louisiana, NSU rallied to cut the Islanders' lead to five points--on two occasions.
The Lady Demons did not shoot the ball well, especially from behind the three-point line. However, in her post-game radio interview, Head Coach Jennifer Graf focused on her team's defensive play. Coach Graf's philosophy is if you're not getting it done on offense, that's all the more reason to play tighter defense.
One thing is clear--this Lady Demons team will never be out of a ball game, no matter how big the margin. They don't know the meaning of the word "quit".
That's something their radio play-by-play man needs to keep in mind!

Tony Taglavore
Voice of the Lady Demons

No comments: