Friday, January 29, 2010

Calling the Game--and Calling Home

There are many things I enjoy about the privilege--and I do consider it a privilege--to be a member of the Demon Sports Network. Near the top of that list is that my mom is able to listen to me when certain games are carried on KSYR, the Shreveport affiliate of the Demon Sports Network.

Unfortunately, she hasn't been able to listen to many games this season.

Healthy for the vast majority of her 72 years, she has hit a rough spot the past few months. In and out of the hospital, she is in again.

For whatever reason, we can't get a radio to pick up the station's signal inside the hospital. So, she has relied on me calling her--which I do after each game I broadcast--to let her know what happened. She has become a Demon/Lady Demon fan in the two years I have been part of NSU's football/basketball/baseball broadcasts.

This time, her illness is much more serious than before. When I call the Lady Demons Saturday basketball game for first place against the University of Central Arkansas, I will be thinking of her. And on the way home, I will call her. But this call will mean a little more. There may not be many more calls left to make.

I hope I can tell her about a Lady Demons win.

I also hope you can make it to Prather Coliseum to cheer on your first place Lady Demons. But if you can't, I hope you join us on the Demon Sports Network (110.7 KZBL in Natchitoches, 92.1 KSYR in Shreveport, and here at nsudemons.com).

Tony Taglavore
Voice of the Lady Demons

No comments: