Monday, November 01, 2010

Savona checks in from Cancun

NSU freshman soccer player Ashlee Savona checks in from the Gold Cup in Cancun, Mexico

Hey Demon fans!

I heard about the loss today (NSU's 3-0 loss to Southeastern Louisiana) and I am really sorry that I wasn't able to help the team get to the tournament this year. I can't imagine how Sara (Sadler) and (Heather) Burt are taking it right now but please give them my regards and congratulations on a great senior season.

The last time I updated you was the day before our first game against Mexico. If you didn't hear already, we lost that game 7-2. Walking out into that full stadium of 9,980 Mexican fans and the 20 Guyanese fans (our families) was an un-real experience. You could tell that they were a very strong team tactically, and they kept possession of the ball extremely well.

We put up a fight against them and did what we could with a week of practice and playing together in this new system of 4-2-3-1 and we managed to score 2 goals out of it. Our coaches were extremely proud on how well we did and considering we were not expected to score a goal, they couldn't be happier.

The next day after the game, we watched the game at the hotel and it showed our constant mistakes that we would need to fix before playing Canada. That day we didn't have a practice, however we were able to go shopping for a couple hours and go into downtown Cancun as well.

Today (Sunday) was the day I have been looking forward to since I joined this program, the day we play Canada. I was extremely nervous to be honest but I was also full of excitement. Walking on to the field with a much smaller crowed, I looked at the Canadian team on the other side of the field and I saw players I used to look up to when I was a kid It was a huge shock to me when I realized I was going to play against them.

Lining up to appreciate the national anthems, it was hard not to sing the Canadian anthem but then again, it was a great honor to hear it in a FIFA Qualifing game.

As the game started, I quickly lost the nerves I had coming into the game and played my heart out. In the end we lost 8-0 but I was extremely happy after the game. Not very many people get to have this chance to play at the highest level possible and I have learned so much from it. We are preparing for our next game on Tuesday against Trinidad. I will update you soon.

Ashlee

No comments: