Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Sulphur school got its kicks with 2006 Demons NCAA win

Former Demon football kicker Clint Sanford has a place in the record books. Sanford scored 160 career points from 1999-2001, ninth in school history – and in 2000 he set a single-season record with 14 field goals, a mark that stood until Robert Weeks’ onslaught last year.

Nowadays he’s getting his kicks teaching in his hometown and enjoying the accomplishments of the current-day Demons and Lady Demons.

Sanford is an elementary school teacher in Sulphur. He is a daily visitor to nsudemons.com, keeping track of all NSU sports news, and last March 17, his daily routine came to a halt as the Demon basketball team’s NCAA Tournament first-round game against Iowa turned into a thriller down the stretch.

After reading the “Where were you when The Shot went through?” Demon Dust column posted Friday, Clint e-mailed the following story and was kind enough to share it here:

“I remember exactly where I was. I had told the principal the day before that he better not schedule any observations in my class on that day because the TV would be on and my class would be watching the Demons. He is a Cowboy fan but he understood.

“I was teaching my 5th graders a math lesson and watching the game. When it got down to the last 4 or 5 minutes I stopped teaching and made my students watch the game instead. When that shot went in, my class and I went nuts. The other teachers down the hall came running to see what was going on. We were going crazy.

“Just as the class was calming down I heard someone shouting ‘Mr. Sanford, they won, they won!’ down the hall. I look out my door to see my principal running down the hall towards me. He had been in his office watching the game himself.

“A Cowboy convert? A new Demon fan! Probably not, but for those brief couple of minutes I believe we had a lot of Demon fans. It is something I will never forget.”

Ditto, Clint. Nor will we forget your 37-yard field goal with four seconds left on Oct. 21, 2000, that capped an incredible comeback and gave Northwestern a 37-34 homecoming win over McNeese. I’ll bet your principal remembers that one, too!

Doug Ireland, SID

No comments: