Saturday, September 01, 2007

The Former Demons tent is electric

More fun than a little bit.

The Former Demons tent set up for the Centennial Celebration reunion of former players, coaches and staff members is a handshake and hug haven.

Along with dozens of reunions going on simultaneously, there are some very cool mutual admiration societies being formed, as Demons from the '50s visit with Demons from the '90s, for example.

The Storytelling Contest -- lots of winners, not any losers -- got off to a big start with current Demons assistant coach and Top 100 Demons of All-Time selection Roy Locks. If the players of the "days gone by" wondered if they are remembered, Locks assured them they are.

He got some laughs when he said that the players he is coaching now think HE is old. Locks, whose last season was 2002, when he won All-America honors, said when he played he looked up to Demons like Gary Reasons and Bobby Hebert and was especially thrilled to form a friendship with Charlie Tolar.

"One day this little old man came up to me and asked me if I was Roy Locks, and I said yes. He asked if I played linebacker, which I did, and I said yes. He said his name was Charlie Tolar, and he hated linebackers! Well, I knew his name growing up in Orange, Texas, being a Houston Oilers fan, and I knew he played at NSU, and it was the beginning of a beautiful friendship between me and Mr. Charlie. I loved talking with him about football but more about life."

Doug Ireland, SID

No comments: